Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Turning Stone Golf Review

I needed to put 24 hours between me and my final round at Turning Stone before I tried to blog about the experience. Now that I've had some time to reflect, here it is:

Day 1 - Atunyote
The phrase that I keep using to describe Atunyote is "over the top." From the moment you pull up to the imposing wooden gates at the entrance to the course, the sensory overload is ridiculous. The perfectly manicured practice facility, the gorgeous plantation-style clubhouse, the white coverall clad forecaddies all serve to remind the average golfer that that they are definitely playing out of their league. And that's before setting foot on the first tee. The course itself is, if nothing else, very nice to look at. Rolling, checkerboard fairways of intense shades of green look smoother than the greens at your local muni. But for all of it's splendor, the course relies heavily on length and sand to keep scores out of the basement. Fringed with beautiful pine and hardwoods on the front nine, the back is noticeably lacking in mature timber and draws on centrally placed water features for design focus. The experience of playing a course like Atunyote is so overwhelming that a second round may be warranted just to gain a better appreciation for the course itself after a first time through with one's head in the clouds.
Score - 8 out of 10. Beautiful layout and royal treatment. Lacks the name brand significance and enduring PGA tour cred of an Augusta National, Torrey Pines, Pebble Beach, or TPC Sawgrass.

Day 1 - Sandstone Hollow

After an early afternoon round at Atunyote on Friday, we were still pumped up and decided to play Turning Stone's executive par 3 course. It is unlike any nine hole, par-3 course I have ever played. It is challenging, extremely well maintained and has the feel of a much larger private course. The course was near-deserted when we arrived and the foxes and rabbits roaming the grounds gave the impression of playing our own private wooded course. The sand traps are prevalent and punishing, as are the low-lying marsh areas that must be carried to reach many of holes. Believing that Sandstone was a typical pitch and putt, we foolishly decided this was an ideal location for a two-club challenge. In reality, I would have enjoyed myself a great deal more with the better half of my bag along for the ride. Andy and I chose to walk Sandstone while Mike and Matt rode. The scenery is beautiful, but its less than friendly walking distance reflects the idea that Sandstone is meant to play like a full size course.
Score - 9 out 10 (for an executive course). This course was exceptional in the aesthetic appeal and challenge it presented in a 27 shot par package.

Day 2 - Kaluhyat
As much as I'm trying to repress my memories of Saturday, I can't neglect reflecting on my experience playing Kaluhyat. Simply put, this course is extremely hard. It is not suitable for the casual golfer. If you tend to spray left or right off the tee on occasion, you will lose your ball. If you hit worm burners off the tee, you will lose your ball. If your shot placement with your mid and short irons is anything but rock solid, you will lose your ball. From my perspective the two most noticeable features about this course are the ever-present hazards off the tee and the ridiculous length of each hole. Every tee shot must be relatively straight, with decent loft and carry at least 150 yards, or it will be lost. The length of the course was exacerbated by the soggy conditions on the fairway. My general impression is that the sand is not as vicious on Kaluhyat as it is on Atunyote and Shenendoah, simply because there are so many "natural" course elements in which to lose a ball or end up in jail. I have no desire to play Kaluhyat again any time in the near future.
Score - 6 out of 10. Beautifully crafted in low-lying marsh and meadow environs. Punishing tee locations and narrow fairways force players to follow a particular path to the hole, or else. Little opportunity for creativity or risk reward propositions. Mildly soggy fairways.

Day 3 - Shenendoah
I shot my best round of the weekend on Shenendoah and, generally speaking, had the best time out of the whole weekend on Shenendoah. As a result, I would love to give it a score right up there with Atunyote. But I can't. In fact, I can't even say I would recommend the course to a friend. Why? Because the fairways were slop. Squishy, soupy, saturated fairways made what could be a beautiful golf course, absolutely maddening. I know that there are those individuals who will say, "but they got so much rain, it's not their fault!" As a matter of fact, members of my foursome expressed that very sentiment. But here's the rub: When someone plays a resort course and ponies up the exorbitant greens fee for the privilege, THERE ARE NO EXCUSES. Awfully dry this season? Time to invest in better sprinkler coverage. Bugs driving you nuts near that island green? They've got chemicals for that. Fairways playing like a wading pool? Time to address your drainage. A course as long as Shenendoah can be intimidating without any extenuating circumstances, but when not a single shot is capable of producing roll, that length just gets frustrating. As a golfer, I know that any 18 holes is always better than the office. But as a consumer, I want to know why I'm shelling out full price for swamped fairways that I will inevitably have to trudge across all day because I can't take my cart off the path.
Score - 3 out of 10. Lots of potential, but the experience is ruined by inexcusable fairway conditions for a resort course.

No comments: