Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Guitar Hero: Aerosucks

I was pysched to run out on Monday and buy the latest installment of the Guitar Hero franchise, Guitar Hero: Aerosmith. But due to an ongoing project at work, I didn't really get a chance to sit down and start playing until tonight. And I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed. I appreciate that the game is supposed to focus on Aerosmith's evolution as a band. But populating each set with the deepest cuts off of older Aerosmith albums seems like a surefire way to turn off all but the most dedicated Aerosmith fans. I certainly found no joy in muddling through Aerosmith "classics" that I had never heard before. And I'm not thrilled with the non-Aerosmith selections either. The strength of GH III was that all of the songs, no matter how mind-numbingly difficult (Raining Blood on expert...) were catchy, distinctive and fun to play.

Despite "easier" game play, many of the songs on GH: Aerosmith are just filler until advancing to the next tune I recognize. I know that there is a GH: Metallica on its way, but unless I see a much stronger set list, I'm sticking with GH III until World Tour comes out. In any event, I did get a wireless axe and I'm starting get accustomed to the same buttons my co-workers have been using. That bodes well for any future head-to-head competition next time I'm in the office.

No comments: