Friday, July 18, 2008

Draft Strategy: The Next Evolution

I've continued obsessing about my FF drafting strategy and I've come up with a few more thoughts to guide my selections:
-No QB's in rounds 1 and 2. I will not be swayed by the Golden Boy, nor will I be tempted to worry about Peyton's knee. I am absolutely picking a RB round 1 and a RB or WR round 2. There will be plenty of QB's to choose from in rounds 3, 4 and beyond.
-Portis is not all bad. For some reason I've been down on Clinton Portis this year. I think it's because Portis was dissed so frequently in last year's draft. The guy is quick, has good hands and gets most of the carries. He's a legit alternative to Marion Barber with a 7-10 pick.
-Stop with the early D/ST picks. I somehow cannot help myself from grabbing a D/ST in round 8-10. To prevent myself from making this mistake on draft day, I am trying to build a better list of desirable rookies and sleepers to look to once my starters are picked.
-Know why I picked every single player. I've looked over my rosters from previous years and there are some guys with no upside. Not now, not ever. So, new rule: If I can't state one really compelling reason to draft a player, I'm not taking him.

Overall, the thing that was lacking from my previous drafts was discipline. But this year, I'm turning all that around. I want to have teams that either look great on paper, or can be readily defended if otherwise.

No comments: