Saturday, July 12, 2008

iPhone 3G: Dodged the Bullet?

As I indicated in my post yesterday, today was the momentous launch of of the iPhone 3G. And I was pretty bummed I wasn't eligible to pick one up. But following widespread reports of long lines, significant wait times and serious difficulties activating the phones, I think I may be better off without an iPhone. At least for the moment. As early adopters of the the iPhone were burned last year by the rapid price decrease, so it seems that buying straight off the assembly line may not be the way to go.

In addition, there is a rising tide of vocal dissatisfaction around the globe at the ridiculous price of the data packages for the new iPhone. I would not be surprised if either the cost of the phone, or the cost of the data plan saw a reduction prior to the holiday season, when I'll be eligible to get one. Until then, I'll sit back, wait and watch.

No comments: