Friday, March 11, 2011

Stuck on Plane While the Bison Go Dancing


When it comes to booking travel, I'm a fire and forget kind of guy. I put in the time to find the cheapest fare, best flight times, etc. but once it's booked, I rarely look at my itinerary until a few days before I depart. So it was an unpleasant surprise to find out that Bucknell's Patriot League championship game would tip off at the SAME TIME my flight from Chicago to Austin departed today. The game was broadcast on ESPN2, so up until I confirmed my itinerary on Wednesday, i was pretty sure I would catch SOME of the game at an airport bar, or at the hotel in Austin. No such luck.

It's a strange feeling in this era of constant connectivity to be invested in the outcome of an event, and not have any way of following it. I'm so used to following scores on my ESPN Sportscenter, or watching the gamecast even if a game isn't televised. It's just genuinely odd to be in a place where I'm just totally cut off.

The good news is that the flight to Austin was smooth and upon landing, I had an email from BU President John Bravman informing me that Bucknell was going dancing. I'll be watching the selection show Sunday to make sure I'm not off the grid for Bucknell's first round matchup.

No comments: