Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Summer Doldrums - Time to Shape Up

I've been saying it for a week, but we have officially hit the summer doldrums. The doldrums are that 2-4 week period during the summer where things go quiet at the office, there's not much on TV, baseball is just starting to get interesting and the NFL regular season still seems a long way off. So to kill time, I'm committing to getting back in shape. I've started a new blog to track my daily workout activities, and maybe once daily activities aren't embarrassing, I'll make it public.

So aside from sheer boredom, what else is motivating me to get my ass in gear and start moving? First and foremost, there's a Bucknell Crew Associationreunion in October. And part of that reunion is going to involve some alumni rowing. I know I can't keep up with the current rowers and recent graduates, but I'd like to hold my own against the other "old guys."

I've also made it clear that I'm not in love with Northern Virginia, but one of the benefits I have yet to experience is a winter that is far milder than Rochester's. It would be nice to be able to take advantage of the nice weather to run. And I'd like to be in a routine by then.

Another drawback to the doldrums is that there isn't much to write about. Hence this lame entry. I'll find something interesting and topical to write about tomorrow.

No comments: